5.25.2010

Adventures in Tequila (part 2)

To continue our tequila exploration, the next night, we began with the Jaguar. I believe that this drink was created at Eastern Standard in Boston, though I first saw it on Paul Clarke's blog, Cocktail Chronicles. I have to say that so far this is my favorite as it uses two of my absolute favorite things, Amer Picon (I use Jamie Boudreau's recipe) and green chartreuse. And because it links tequila, a spirit that has recently sparked my interest, with not one but two herbal superpowers, this drink not only fit the menu, but also killed two birds with one stone.



Jaguar

1 1/2 ounces blanco tequila
3/4 ounce Amer Boudreau
3/4 ounce green chartreuse
3 dashes orange bitters

Stir ingredients in an ice-filled mixing glass.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with a flamed orange twist

The Amer Boudreau contributes its warm caramel color to the drink, which results in a nice contrast to the bright orange peel. (Again, I didn't flame the peel; I know, I know.) The aroma is full of the orange oils and the lingering smell of tequila. The herbs of the chartreuse combine with the orange notes at the beginning of the sip. The chartreuse even becomes more dominant as the drink progresses. But as the smokiness of the tequila is present throughout, the drink never sways out of balance. I am sure that the dry earthy flavors of the amer also help to keep the chartreuse from overtaking the cocktail. The amer's herbs and deep orange flavor come through on the swallow to create a pleasant dryness. This drink is dry and herbal, yet smoky and spicy, a very balanced and complex tipple. It sort of reminds me of a tequila Bijou. I do wonder how a reposado would work in this drink, with its even more complicated flavors. I guess further experimentation will be forthcoming.

1 comment:

  1. I will happily volunteer to test your reposado experiment at any time!

    ReplyDelete